Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Treadmill desk as a software developer - 3 month

So we've been going on three months now. I'm able to walk about 30K (~14 miles) steps at least twice a week without feeling too bad. I've killed my tennis shoes that I bought during the summer, so I guess one side effect is that I'll be going through shoes much faster now.

Things I've noticed:

  • There was an online conference, that I was watching while I was working. This was great, but given that I was already switching between 2 engaging contexts, I didn't notice that I was walking, and I over did it again (37K steps, 2 days in a row before I noticed what was happening - I guess that means I'm getting better endurance). 
  • On the day that my fitbit battery died, I wasn't motivated to walk until it was charged. Apparently I definitely want my steps to "count" 
  • Grading my class assignments is MUCH more enjoyable while walking. Previously I could barely get through 1 without needing a break, now I can do them all in one "sitting"
  • There is a nice pile of dust, crumbs, etc that ends up on the mat at the back of the treadmill. 
  • I hardly ever sit down anymore at work. Although I do still stop and stretch occasionally. As I try to hit 30+K once or twice a week. 
  • I keep a set of hand weights on my desk for meetings, where I don't have to participate or take notes. 
Overall I've lost 12 lbs (fluctuating wildly as we go through Thanksgiving and the holidays :))

Still nothing but good things to say about the treadmill desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment